Director of Licensing- Raleigh 
The North Carolina Education Lottery has become the state’s regulator of sports betting operations. We’re looking for an experienced senior leader to develop, implement, and manage a licensing framework and program for sports betting and any future gaming approved by the General Assembly or Commission. This role will be responsible for leading the agency’s licensing efforts. Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience managing a licensing program known for adherence to applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines.
This position affords you the opportunity to bring your talents and experience to a dedicated and hard- working group of professionals who enjoy working together. We offer competitive pay and benefits, generous time off, professional development and telework options-all in a desirable US state. More importantly, we value the suggestions and contributions of our staff and provide the freedom to implement practices that support our business. Come and grow your career in this fun, friendly and fast-paced environment!
• Develop and implement licensing and investigation policies, procedures, and practices that align with the rules set by the North Carolina State Lottery Commission for sports betting.
• Develop the department’s operational plans and annual budget; lead implementation, monitor performance and initiate changes where necessary to achieve agreed objectives.
• Develop and implement strategies to assist in the creation of the licensing processes as well as the review and approval processes for gaming suppliers, vender, and other entities required by the Commission.
• Create a system to alert licensees when licenses are due or expiring.
• Manage the licensing and investigation team and oversee the processing of all applications, renewals, and statutory filings required by the North Carolina State Lottery Commission.
• Monitor and evaluate the performance of direct reports, prepare performance appraisals, coordinate goal setting, and recommend corrective action where necessary to facilitate improved performance goals.
• Research and recommend products to assist in the licensing and investigation process, such as an automated database to track the status of all investigations, paperwork submitted, application fees paid, and any other information deemed relevant to ensure that investigations are completed in a timely manner
• Periodically review and update the department’s policies and procedures to guide the technical and administrative functions of the Department.
• Prepare and submit routine and special reports on the operations of the department as required.
• Alert direct report and legal staff when operators are not in compliance and make recommendations for disciplinary action.
• Oversee the examination, evaluation, and investigation of all gaming applicants to ensure applicants meet eligibility requirements as established by NC statutes and the lottery commission. Oversee field investigations and interviews of applicants, witnesses and other relevant parties to corroborate
information on applicants.
• Oversee the review and annualization of financial documents, accounting records, bank statements, computer records, public documents and all other relevant records to ensure selection decisions meet criteria and are adequately documented.
• Analyze industry trends and recommend changes to licensing and investigation requirements, policies and procedures, as necessary.
• Monitor regulatory compliance (including assisting with compliance audits) and ensure timely and appropriate enforcement actions, when necessary, in collaboration with the DEDGCSB.
• Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, including other regulatory bodies, industry associations, and government agencies, to ensure a consistent approach to licensing and investigation including communications with external consultants responsible for conducting suitability reviews on behalf of the Commission.
• At least five years of extensive supervisory experience in progressively responsible licensing operations. Experience with sports wagering licensing preferred.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited 4-year college or university in Business Administration, Criminal Justice, or related field.
• Experience in investigation, finance, accounting, law enforcement, law or gaming is a plus.
• Demonstrated completion of continual training commensurate with positions held.
• Substitutions of similar experience in related fields will be considered.
• This position is eligible for part-time telework. Must reside in North Carolina.
• Relocation benefits available
• Must pass background investigation.
Hiring Rate: $109,000 - $125,000 DOE
Closing Date: September 15, 2023
About the North Carolina Education Lottery
We raise money for a great cause! All of the earnings of the North Carolina Education Lottery go to education. We award on average $6.7 million a day in prizes. To learn more, visit our website www.nclottery.com.
At the North Carolina Education Lottery, we deal with winners everyday: our employees! We offer competitive pay and benefits, flexible schedules, professional development opportunities, casual attire, open communication and a fun work environment.
All employees of the Lottery are expected to support the organization values (honesty, respect, integrity and trust) and its commitment to corporate social responsibility (including responsible gaming, environmental awareness, community involvement, etc).
Apply in minutes! Get started by uploading your resume. Click here for our Careers Page.
Equal Opportunity Employer