Svenska Spel has a third quarter with a strong operating margin on par with the previous year. The group continues to invest in new gaming experiences in all business areas. In parallel with this, the focus on sustainable gaming has a positive effect on the share of healthy revenue, which during the quarter reaches the highest level ever. This is shown in Svenska Spel's interim report for January – September 2022, which is presented today.
The Svenska Spel Group's net gaming revenue for the quarter is SEK 1,954 million (1,973), which is a decrease of 1 percent. The operating profit of SEK 681 million (696) is a decrease of 2 percent, and the operating margin amounts to 35 percent (35).
The net gaming revenue for the Sport & Casino business area decreases during the quarter by 7 percent compared to the same quarter last year. The comparative numbers are still challenging as a result of strengthened gambling responsibility measures, but the measures have a positive effect on the share of healthy revenues.
Business area Tur increases net gaming revenue by 3 percent compared to the corresponding quarter last year. Eurojackpot, one of the most popular number games, continues to do well and customers like the thrill of high jackpots.
For the Casino Cosmopol & Vegas business area, net gaming revenue decreases by 4 percent, this in comparison to the same quarter last year when the group's land-based casinos were fully open again for the first time after being closed for 15 months during the pandemic.
For the group as a whole, online business increases by 5 percent compared to the same quarter last year, and accounts for 50 percent (47) of the group's revenue during the quarter.
- We make a good performance in challenging times. Both our strong operating margin and our investment in new gaming experiences in all business areas are positive. This goes hand in hand with a continued focus on sustainable gaming, where the share of healthy revenue during the quarter reaches the highest level ever, says Patrik Hofbauer, president and CEO of Svenska Spel.
One of the quarter's big news is the high-stakes game Fullträff, which has at least SEK 50 million in the pot and is played by betting on the number of goals in 13 football matches – a game of skill that complements other sports games in a good way. Triss is Sweden's most popular scratch card and during the quarter a new BilTriss was launched with a chance to scratch off a Tesla Model Y. Customers can now also give away Triss digitally with different messages.
When playing in-store, the latest innovation is identification via mobile BankID, which makes it easier for both customers and agents. When depositing into customers' gaming accounts, there is now also the possibility of direct payment with Swedbank Express.
Casino Cosmopol in Gothenburg has celebrated its 20th anniversary and at the same time took the opportunity to inaugurate the newly renovated premises. Casino Cosmopol in Stockholm has introduced trotting evenings as an opportunity for trotting enthusiasts to watch trotting, socialize and eat well in a relaxed manner.
During the quarter, Svenska Spel distributed 58 million winnings in number games and lotteries with a total value of more than SEK 206 million. The highest profit of the quarter was a Klöver-Trisswinner who scraped together a profit of 100,000 kroner a month for 10 years, a total of 12 million kroner. The sports games have also delivered 29 million in winnings during the quarter, of which Stryktipset accounts for 22.
The European Football Championship in England did not only bring success on the football field for the Swedish women's national team. The championship also created a great deal of engagement among sports betting customers, which resulted in a considerable increase in the number of unique customers and in turnover per match. There was also great interest among lottery customers for football Triss, which was presented in collaboration with the Swedish Football Association.
In sponsorship, Svenska Spel has awarded 50 new elite sports scholarships of SEK 50,000 each. The scholarship holders are active in 38 different sports and the addition gives them a better opportunity to combine sports at an elite level with higher studies.
Summary of the third quarter
- Net gaming revenue for the group amounted to SEK 1,954 million (1,973), a decrease of SEK 19 million or 1%.
- Operating profit for the group amounted to SEK 681 million (696), a decrease of SEK 15 million or 2%.
- The result for the group amounted to SEK 544 million (552), a decrease of SEK 8 million or 1%.
- The operating margin amounted to 35% (35).
- The image value amounted to 49% (53) and is still the highest among gambling companies.
- We offer our customers the opportunity to give away Triss digitally with different messages, for example "you're the best" and "take care of yourself".
- Sport & Casino has launched Fullträff, a new high-win game.
- Casino Cosmopol in Gothenburg has celebrated its 20th anniversary.
- We have launched identification with mobile BankID at our agents.
Summary of the period January–September
- Net gaming revenue for the group amounted to SEK 5,852 million (5,911), a decrease of SEK 59 million or 1%. The outcome is compared to a closed casino operation during the first half of 2021. Lower net gambling revenue is, among other things, an effect of strengthened gambling responsibility measures through new deposit limits and that we did not manage to meet last year's sales of lottery tickets. The proportion of healthy income continues to increase.
- Operating profit for the group amounted to SEK 1,808 million (1,867), a decrease of SEK 60 million or 3%.
- The result for the group amounted to SEK 1,436 million (1,482), a decrease of SEK 45 million or 3%.
- The operating margin amounted to 31% (32).
- Svenska Spel has extended the agreement with the Swedish Football Association until 2028.
- In March, the jackpot ceiling at Eurojackpot was raised from approximately SEK 900 million to SEK 1.2 billion. At the same time, the number of draws was increased to two per week.
- We have launched online cooperative games for our number games.
- We have launched Min spelkoll, a new service that gives our customers a better overview of their gambling and identifies risky gambling patterns.
- Svenska Spel Sport & Casino has signed a three-year agreement with Svensk Travsport.
Here you can read the Interim report January – September 2022 .